Saturday, June 8, 2019

Lacto fermentation galore


Last 6 months have been a crazy whirlwind in my life. I got juried into me first ever and a very prestigious art show- the Phippen Museum Western Art Show in Prescott, AZ at the beginning of this year and as a result the next 5 months were spent getting ready for the show and making more and more art locked up in my studio. Getting all the other necessities like business cards, tent, text banners, making prints, and did I mention... mostly making paintings...I was also taking part in the QuickDraw event at the show where all artists have to, each, finish a painting in an hour which will then be auctioned off in front of thousands of spectators. Yikes, no pressure there at all... I had anxious nights and crazy dreams of not being able to finish my painting in time!!!



It all got done. I did my art show, sold some paintings, did the QuickDraw (painted my husband from life)!





BUT...

I didn't take care much of my health, exercise and food in the months before. As a result of not getting any sun (serious lack of Vitamin D) and the above I lost a lot of weight (which I didn't have much to lost to begin with), my teeth started hurting, getting cavities and soon as the show was over I actually had to get a wisdom tooth pulled out.
But that was not all after getting it yanked... I got a fever and pain. It has been 5 days now going through that and the fever has finally gone but the pain and lack of energy still remains.
So, the most important thing I need to do for myself now is great lots of sun, way lots of good food and pickles...
So I have gone lacto-fermentation-wild.
Here I have sauerkraut, carrots, beets, cauliflower, dikon, cucumbers, asparagus, phew. All in a day's feverish frenzy!!!


Pretty much the same procedure and recipe as my asparagus pickles with variations of spices and flavorings.

For example, Here is the making of the dikon pickles... 
Dikon slivers, slit fresh chilis, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1 Tsp ground mustard seeds 1 Tsp coriander seeds and a couple Tablesppons or so or a previous pickled vegetable packed in a half gallon mason jar and then filled with brine. Used the same glass weights and lids from the asparagus pickle recipe.
ALTHOUGH I FOUND THESE LIDS THAT I LIKE BETTER... they have an easy grip  that lets me open the lids easier and the vent sits higher then the last ones so that the liquids have less of a chance of oozing out when I suction the oxygen out of the jars with the provided pump.







Here is the cucumber pickles in the making... Try to find fresh dill. oh so good but you can get by without it :)




Asparagus



Here again in the lineup are....
CUCUMBER


DIKON

ASPARAGUS


CAULIFLOWER

SAUERKRAUT with cabbage, beet tops, ginger and kelp

CARROTS AND BEETS


Here's to good health, pickles and sunshine...


No comments: