Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bread Lessons - Sourdough Starter: Step-by-Step (Day 4-5- on onwards)

My starter is not looking any more exciting. Just a few little bubbles. I have moved it to a warmer location... Let's see what happens. My kitchen is quite cold.
Sourdolady says:
"Repeat Day 4 once daily until -
the mixture starts to expand and smell yeasty. It is not unusual for the mixture to get very bubbly around Day 3 or 4 and then go completely flat and appear dead. If the mixture does not start to grow again by Day 6, add 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar with the daily feeding. This will lower the pH level a bit more and it should wake up the yeast."
So I will add some Apple Cider vinegar and hopefully the warmth with help a bit!
I have my fingers crossed.
Also I would say that adding the fenugreek & cumin seeds didn't really help. Also it would be better to crush them in a mortar next time, as they started sprouting in my starter :O ;)

No comments: